Our tasks:
1. shut off the main water supply to your house
2. find a way for you (and your family if applicable) to bathe or shower
3. cook all of your meals with only the water in storage
4. locate the nearest source of fresh water to your home
5. learn about alternate water sources and water purification
I only had water for drinking and sanitation and not enough to last me to the 3rd day. I failed on all the rest--I don't know how to turn of my water, where is the nearest water source?!?, how do I clean dishes with water from water bottles? But, I learned what I need and I'm making a list.
Today's challenge had to do with dietary limitations. We had to pretend that we had an allergy to a preservative and needed to avoid all preservatives. That meant cooking everything from scratch.
Our tasks:
1. Cook breakfast from scratch
2. Cook lunch from scratch
3. Cook dinner from scratch
4. Bake a loaf of homemade bread
5. Do not use ANY pre-packaged or convenience-type foods. No mixes, boxed cereals, canned soups or sauces etc. If you can’t pronounce all the ingredients and say where it came from, it’s probably a NO go.
I did alright on this one. We don't do a lot of packaged meals/sides, but there were some things that have preservatives that I didn't know how to get around--sandwich meat and condiments. We had eggs for breakfast, fruit and popcorn for snack, homemade macaroni and cheese for lunch and meatloaf with mashed potatoes for dinner. Today's challenge made me want to learn how to make cheese and cut my own meat for sandwiches.
I did make some bread this morning. I also made banana bread and zucchini bread. All from scratch. It was a busy baking morning!
what about the preservatives in the macaroni? we need to learn how to make our own pasta next.
ReplyDeleteAh.... going without water... brings back such memories of all the time my and I spent on Saipan and survived typhoons, even super typhoons.
ReplyDeleteThis may not sound like fun, but it works wonders:
Large plastic contianer lined with extra large garbage bag covered with lid (we just used a brand new, never used garbage pail). Fill with water - excellent for flushing the toilet.
Save every empty clorox jug that you buy, rinse well and fill with water. This water is used for brushing washing clothes and your body. The really cool trick is to learn how to take a shower while using half from the clorox jug and the other half from water heated in the stove. You can also use this water for cooking, but must boil it first.
Drinking and brushing teeth should be the good water.
curious to know what else you learned on this adventure!
Of course, the best is when you have gone so long without water or electricity that you are know forced to wash clothes by hand... fun times, fun times.
:)