You know the story of the Good Samaritan? A Jew gets beat up and left to die. First a priest passes him by, then a Levite passes him by. Both made promises to help those in need. Finally a Samaritan, someone who didn't have a good relationship with the Jews, stopped to help. Today I felt like one of the first two who passed up an opportunity to help.
On the way home we were behind a car that had stalled and was having a difficult time getting re-started. While waiting for a chance to get around him I was thinking about what I could do to help him. I don't know anything about cars and I couldn't help him push his car. What else could I do? As we left him behind I felt like I missed the chance to be a good Samaritan. I felt like I was being a bad example to my kids. What should I do if a situation like that happens again?
I too, have felt that same way. I do have to say, I would feel more inclined to stop for a woman...I have strong apprehensions when it comes to me alone or with kids helping a man. Maybe I've heard too many horror stories. I guess it boils down to going by the spirit.
ReplyDeleteI have been thinking about this since I read it... I agree with Jen, I am always more cautious when alone or with the children.
ReplyDeleteOther than trying to follow the promptings of the spirit, the one thing that the children and I do consistently is pray. When we see someone on the side of the road and see/hear and ambulance or fire truck we say a prayer for the people involved.
It was something Steve started and it has stuck - I think we have been doing this since Katia was 5. Anyway, Steve's thought was... if my family was hurt or in trouble I would want someone to pray for them to get the help they need.
I can't always give help, but I can always pray for help and for those invovled.