Thursday, July 5, 2012

United States--Minnesota and Mississippi

I'm WAAAAY behind on posting about our United States unit, so I'm going to combine a few states.

Minnesota is known as the land of 10,000 lakes.  The legend is that each lake is actually a footprint of the tall tale hero Paul Bunyan .  I couldn't find/think of a fun activity for this state so we played some Minnesota fact games on the computer.  I didn't even take a picture.  BORING!

Mississippi is the only state of the 10 that border the Mississippi river to be named after it.  The Choctaw indians of Mississippi played stickball--the oldest game in America.  We decided to learn how to play.  Unfortunately the instructions that we followed weren't for the "real" stickball.  Stickball is a a game where players on teams use sticks to move a ball down field.  They can only use the sticks to move the ball.  A point is scored when the ball hits the opposing goal post.  What we did was practice balancing a ball on a stick. 

No comments:

Post a Comment