The kids and I are reading the Chronicles of Narnia. While reading The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, we were intrigued with the Turkish delight that Edmund requested from the white witch. We decided to make some. I found a recipe and we made a batch yesterday. It took us ALL morning. There was a lot of time spent stirring over the stove. After all that work we decided that we didn't like it. The rose flavor was too strong. I would go back and try it with less flavoring, but it was too much work. If I find it at the store I might try it but I don't think we'll ever make it again.
Ingredients:
4 c. granulated sugar
1 c. cornstarch
1 tsp cream of tartar
1 Tbl lemon juice
4 1/4 c. water
1 1/2 Tbl rose water
1 c. confectioners sugar
A candy thermometer is also needed.
Make the sugar syrupIn a small saucepan, combine lemon juice, sugar and 1 1/2 cups of water. Turn the heat on medium. Stir the mixture until the sugar dissolves.

When the mixture boils, turn the heat to low. Insert the candy thermometer. Allow the mixture to simmer until the temperature reaches 240 degrees (about 30-40 minutes).

Turn the heat off and set aside.
Make the jelly base (be sure to wait until syrup is ready to begin this step)
In a medium saucepan, combine cream of tartar, cornstarch and 2 3/4 cups of water. Turn the heat on medium. Continuously stir the mixture with a wooden spoon until the lumps are dissolved and the mixture begins to boil. When the mixture achieves a glue-like consistency, stop stirring.

Add in the sugar syrup mixture and stir for 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and allow to simmer for 1 hour. Stir the mixture frequently so it doesn't burn the bottom of the pan. When the mixture becomes a golden color, add in rosewater and stir until everything is combined.
Pour into a moldOil the sides and bottom of your container (we used a bread pan). Pour mixture into the container an spread it evenly.

Place it into refrigerator and allow to cool overnight (we waited until the afternoon--it was cool).
Server or storeTake container out of fridge and remove Turkish delight. Cut into 1 inch pieces.

Place them into a bowl of confectioners sugar and thoroughly coat them.

Store in an airtight container or eat immediately.
The kids set the beeper and took turns stirring every 2 minutes.




I tried to get some friends to eat it, but they didn't like it either. Too bad!
No comments:
Post a Comment