Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Homemade Yogurt

We have a new favorite snack at our house--homemade yogurt.  A few months back we tried making yogurt from cultures, but no one liked it.  Then a mom from our homeschool group taught be how to make it a different way and we all love it.  It tastes good and it's good for you.

First poor a gallon of milk into the crock pot.  We use whole milk, but the next time I'm going to try 1%.  Heat it to 180 degrees (you'll need a candy thermometer.  If you do it on high it takes 3-4 hours on low it takes 7-8.  I've done both and prefer the faster temperature.  Every hour or so I stir it with the thermometer and check the temperature at the same time. 
When it has reaches the correct temperature, take the crock out of the heater part (I don't know the correct terms) and cool to 110 degrees.  I usually cool it by stirring the milk with a frozen water bottle.  This process takes about 20 minutes. 
Then add 1/2 cup of plain greek yogurt.  You can use the individual servings or scoop some from a bigger container. 
Next put the lid back on and wrap the whole thing in a blanket and leave it over night.  When you check on it in the morning it will be think and they whey will be separating. 
Then you can eat it or strain off the whey.  We like it thick so I strain the whey with cheesecloth.  I've been told you can use birds eye cloth and I am going to try that next.  Place a large colander in a large bowl.  Layer the cloth and pour the yogurt.  Keep in the fridge.  This scan take as long as you want depending on how thick/thin you want it. 
The last step is to eat it.  It makes about a pound of yogurt and I store it in a Tupperware container.  We use it plain as sour cream or sweeten it with jam, sugar, fruit, or honey.  I use the left over whey in protein shakes, as the liquid in my bread and in my garden. 

1 comment: