Two weeks ago the kids had their teeth cleaned and the dentist told us that it was time for Faythe to stop sucking her thumb. I wasn't looking forward to this because I knew it would be hard. Faythe sucks her thumb ALL THE TIME! She does it to help her fall asleep, she does it to comfort herself, she does it when she's bored. I knew that I needed to prepare her. So after the dentist appointment I made a chart counting down the days to no more thumb sucking. I gave her 5 days and on the 6th night I put socks on her hands. She kept them on all night. And there was no crying. It took her an extra long time to fall asleep and she woke up early, but she didn't suck her thumb. And, amazingly, she had no interest in sucking her thumb during the day. I thought we would have to break each habit individually.
I praised and rewarded her with a treat each morning and on the 7th day we went to Wal-Mart and bought her a toy. She was so excited and loves to tell people that she stopped sucking her thumb. I'm keeping the socks on for another week, because sometimes bad habits come back in the subconsciousness of sleeping.
Way to go Faythe!
Very cool! Good job, Faythe!
ReplyDelete