Saturday, February 13, 2010

New Rule and Punishment

As one of my new year's resolutions, I wanted to help the kids behave better. I know that this kind of goes against the usual resolution of making myself a better person, but it will make our home a happier place, and it is a way for me to help the kids make and accomplish goals. I didn't want to make a whole bunch of changes all at once so I decided to work on one thing at a time (one thing per month). I talked to the kids and decided that our first new rule would be "I will not use my body to get what I want." My main purposes were to get them to use their words with each other and show respect to others and feel empathy. They agreed that they didn't like it when others pushed or hit to get what they wanted and they would be willing to follow the rule. We talked about ways to solve problems without using our bodies and they all signed the rule (kind of like a contract). Then they came up with the punishment--5 push-ups. Whenever they used their body, they would have to do 5 push-ups and then apologize. No warnings!








Their form isn't perfect, but it's getting better.
Now for the cute part. . .Faythe couldn't be left out. Whenever one of her siblings had to do 5 push-ups, she would get down on the floor and do some, too.

PS When I mentioned what I want to work on for this month (using a polite voice), Corbin went UH-OH!

3 comments:

  1. You will have to keep posting on your progress and your next set of rules. I love it! You are such a good mom to resolve to help your kids with their behavior. I for one have to work on my own behavior problems before I take on all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I threatened my kids with push ups the other day. Luckily they listened. But I was kind of hoping they wouldn't. That's a first!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I kind of wish I would get threatened with push ups because I would be in a lot better shape.

    ReplyDelete