Monday, February 22, 2010

A Peek at Our Everyday Schedule

People have asked when I do all the other stuff that moms have to do, so I'm sharing how I do things.

The kids have daily chores that they have to complete before school--get dressed, brush teeth, clean room, etc. They also have a "morning chore" that changes each week--set and clear the table for meals; empty the dishwasher; load the dishwasher; and swish and swipe the kid bathroom.

I also have a helper chart. This rotates between the kids and allows them to help me whenever I need help--getting diapers, fetching other things, fixing meals, being the leader, etc.

Monday is when sheets and towels go in the laundry. Now you might think this is gross, but I don't change sheets every week. I do the girls one week then the boys the next. Making beds is my least favorite job and there is no way I'm going to put sheets on 5 beds every week! Tuesday is laundry day for Jonathan and me. I'll fold our clothes that night or the next night while watching my one and only show--Heroes. (I have to watch it on-line because we don't have TV). Wednesday is a no laundry day. Thursday I wash the kid's clothes. I also have the kids take turns helping me with this chore. They bring me the baskets and help sort, then they help hang up wet clothes on the drying rack. On Friday it is also their job to sort the dry clothes into individual baskets (each kid has a collapsible basket for clean clothes). Then everyone is responsible for folding and putting away their own clothes. Friday and Saturday are catch-up days for laundry. I'll wash the dog stuff and any kitchen towels/washcloths. Saturday is usually our big chore day--bathrooms, floors, dusting and fingerprints, etc. When all the chores are done, the kids are rewarded with computer time.

During quiet time the kids take turns spending time with me. Each day it is a different kid's turn. They get 10 minutes to do whatever they want and then they join their siblings for books or resting in bed and I get time to myself. Time to myself is usually a nap or reading. This is my solution for spending one-on-one time with my kids. They look forward to their turn (especially Ephram).

After the kids are in bed is when I get most of my own stuff done--planning, grocery shopping (unless Jonathan is home on a Monday afternoon or Friday then I'll go during the day), computer time, reading, etc.

I hope that covers everything.

1 comment:

  1. When do you find time to use the bathroom? I don't think you covered that.

    ReplyDelete