Thursday, August 12, 2010

Quiet Time

We've always had quiet time at our house. At first it was nap time, but then the older kids grew out of that stage and it became known as quiet time. I've always felt that it was important--a break for them, a break for me, and I recently found a blog post that put the importance into words for me.
Here are my 5 reasons to do quiet time:
1. I Need It--This is a time for me to be kid-less, a time to recoup my energy so I can "face" the kids for the rest of the day. I've recently added personal study to my quiet time. I can study my scriptures without falling asleep. Then I will read whatever book I happen to be studying. Right now it's The Declaration of Independence. Sometimes I will take a nap.
2. It Is Good for Children Mentally and Physically --Most of the time our house, with five kids under eight, isn't very quite. I read on the blog: "It is so important for children to have quiet time that I would even suggest the lack of it has had a negative physical and mental affect on our children. Without quiet time, children become over stimulated. It becomes difficult for them to manage simple daily routine such as sitting at the table during mealtime or being able to relax in preparation for bedtime. They lack the patience to appreciate the natural setting around them."
3. Quiet time is a good time for them to relax, and enjoy the simple parts of the day. No rushing about, just peace and quiet.
4. Helps Children feel less Anxiety's and Stress--after a morning of learning and playing kids really need this quiet time to help them wind down.
5. Children are Less Cranky After a Peaceful Quiet Time!--I can tell when my kids have not had quiet time. They are whiny and have a harder time playing with each other.
During quiet time the kids can read, color or rest. I try to remove toys and other distractions. I want a time for them to relax and be quiet. It's one of my favorite times of the day.

1 comment:

  1. I love quiet time!

    Katia has decided she is too old for quiet time, so we call it non-quiet time for her. She feels very grown up because she is not assigned to a particular room (or house) and the list of quiet activities include art projects and the computer - as long as I do not have to be involved and she stays quiet!

    Funny, she normally picks to read a book. :)

    ReplyDelete