Sunday, February 6, 2011

Putting Off the Natural Man

A few weeks ago the Relief Society lesson was on fasting and one of the things I got from it was to be more prepared. Yesterday I started talking with Braedi about what she wanted to fast for and I began thinking about what aspect of my life needed work. Whenever Braedi says the family prayer she asks that there be less contention. I (gently) pointed out to her that often times the cause of the contention is her actions and behavior. She decided to fast that there could be less contention. As for me, I noticed that I have not been very patient with kids' behavior--always nagging and never noticing the good. I fasted that I would be able to look for the good and be more patient with behavior.

Today after church I had some time to read the conference issue of the Ensign. The article I read was He teaches us to put off the natural man by Elder Juan Uceda. Who knew it would be the answer to my prayers?! He tells a story about a dad and his daughter and a little contention and how the problem was solved. Near the end he shares how contention can depart from our homes and lives--by living Christlike attributes. I shared with Braedi and said a prayer of gratitude.

--forgive others
--be submissive (yield to the power of the Lord)
--be meek (be mild of temper, not easily provoked or irritated)
--be humble
--be patient
--be full of love
--put of the natural man and plead for help
--become a saint through the atonement

No comments:

Post a Comment