Saturday, March 12, 2011

A Day in the Desert

Jonathan's sister, Alison, was in town and we decided to get together as a Mecham family. Last weekend (at the tres rios festival) there was shooting, but the kids were too young so today we went out to the desert to get some shooting in. Jeremiah brought his guns and bows and he helped the kids.

Before I get into the shooting I have to tell what happened to Corbin. As soon as we got out of the car I pointed to a jumping cactus and told the kids to stay away from it. About 2 minutes later Corbin slinks up behind me, a little embarrassed and a little hurt, saying that he had a cactus in his hand. I knew that I didn't want to touch it so I tried to get it out by hitting it off with a rock. I think I only made it worse. Luckily Jeremiah had some pliers and was able to pull it out. Poor kid--he just cried into my side while Jeremiah worked. Everybody asked him why he did it and all he could say was "I don't know!" Luckily no one else had a problem with the cactus!

Corbin loved the shooting and hung out with Matthew and Spencer and Grandpa and Jeremiah. Braedi tried once and so did I. Braedi had to shoot left handed because she couldn't figure out how to look through the scope with her right eye. Then she tried the other one and was able to shoot right handed. I shot left handed, too, when I used the shotgun. I was worried about the kick on my shoulder.

Dyllan, Ephram, Faythe, Maggie and Kendal played in the dirt. And boy did they get DIRTY!


I think all the kids tried the bow, but I didn't get a picture of Dyllan.


We did some exploring, visited and enjoyed the weather. It was a fun, tiring day!

3 comments:

  1. So when I first started reading this post I read that "there was a shooting, but the kids were too young..." - Too young for what? Then I re-read. It makes sense now. And it looks like a fun time - especially now that I know there was not a shooting...but there was shooting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took a lot of pictures on my dad's camera...we should talk him into emailing them to all of us. :) It was so much fun spending the day with everyone. I had a great time!!!

    ReplyDelete