Monday, May 9, 2011

Strawberry Jam

Remember last year's experiences making jam? They didn't set up and we just used them for syrup. I decided to give it another try. I measured exactly and followed the directions to a T. AND. . .it worked!

The kids helped cut up the strawberries. I told them they could eat 1 for every 5 they cut. Faythe couldn't wait that long. "Can I eat this one?" Ephram took it very serious. "I've cut 5 now I can eat one." I love my kid helpers!
I got to use my Christmas present (a Bosch food processor attachment) to puree the strawberries.
I decided to try it without doing a water bath, but the jars didn't seal by just turning them upside down so I put them in my canner and all but 2 sealed. Homemade jam makes me want to make bread, but I think we'll just have pancakes instead.

2 comments:

  1. I just got home from work, saw the bottles of jam, and thought how much I love you! I'm not sure why the jam triggered that, because it's not like I'm crazy about jam or anything. But I do know that I have a fantastic wife! (whether her jam sets or not)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i made bread yesterday (because the weather was so nice, i could heat up my kitchen). so bring your jam over and i'll share a loaf with you.

    ReplyDelete