The other day, we checked off a few of the fishing related requirements. One requirement is to catch a fish. Corbin reminded me that he hadn't caught a fish since his 8th birthday, so we couldn't honestly sign off that requirement. (I think he was milking me for a fishing trip and I was happy to oblige.)
We headed to a favorite spot in the city where I've had success in the past. We fished one area without any bites and moved to another spot that I like. Corbin had two carp take his bait, but both times his line broke due to the drag on his reel malfunctioning and Corbin's inexperience playing a large, strong fish. We adjusted his drag and talked about technique.
Then I got a nice Koi on a fly that I tied specifically to target these carp, because the carp are smart and quickly get savvy to the flies my friends and I typically use there. It's really a blast to catch fish on a fly you tied yourself. Here it is:
My catch excited Corbin, and he tied on another fly I tied. He quickly nabbed two bluegills back to back. Just as quickly, he pointed out that he now had caught more fish than me.
I was happy to correct him as I connected with another carp. I was also excited that it was a fighter. Unfortunately, I was cursed by my pride, and after running out about 70 feet, the carp threw my hook. The score remained Corbin 2 - Dad 1.
My competitive side flared up, and I got serious. I had another carp honing in on my fly, when an exstatic scream "I GOT ONE!!!" sent my quarry bolting. I turned around and saw Corbin's pole with a healthy bend in it. Afraid of another broken line, I helped Corbin quickly net his first koi. So it turns out that not only did Corbin catch more fish, he also nabbed the big fish of the day.
What great fun. There's not much better than building relationships with your kids while having fun and completing requirements for scouting. Scouting does a lot to build confidence and character in our young men, and if done right it strengthens family bonds as well. We're proud to be scouters in our house. And I'm proud of Corbin - even if he did beat me that day.
Way to go Corbin!
ReplyDelete