Jeffrey is a friend of mine. We’ve been able to hang out a little bit this
year doing some hunting, going to a Ron Paul event, and working on our kids’
pinewood derby cars. Each of those
outings was fun in itself, but the icing on top is hanging out with a guy like
Jeffrey who is always looking to better himself and the world around him.
Often, Jeffrey makes a comment or
asks a question that sticks in my head until I work out an answer. I’m always better off for it, and this is one
of the things that make Jeffrey so likeable for me.
An ongoing conversation between us
is how to have meaningful discussions with our kids about books we read or
other important topics. I think dads,
more often than our wives, struggle with getting our kids to open up and speak
freely about their thoughts. I’ve felt
this, and Jeffrey shared the same concern.
We’ve talked quite a bit about what we can do to have better discussions.
We don’t have all the answers, but
we find hope that being engaged in the process is the right move, and we’ll get
better with time. The first discussions
are bound to be rough, because we’re new at it.
Like any other activity, proficiency follows dedicated practice.
Yesterday, the kids and I were
goofing around making up a story together.
It dawned on me today how effective our play was in practicing skills
necessary to having a good discussion.
There are several ways to play the game, but yesterday it went like this: I started a sentence and stopped before the
sentence was complete. I stopped at a
point where the sentence was still open-ended, that way the kid I pointed at
could finish the sentence. Then I would
roll with whatever was said and start the next sentence. Sometimes all I would add was, “and then….” and let the next kid run with it. The kids had fun with it. Each one of them participated, even
Faythe. This is roughly how the story
went:
Dad: Once upon a _________
Corbin: TIME!
Dad: There was a _________
Braedi: Dragon.
Dad: The dragon loved to eat
__________
Dyllan: Fish, no, wait… cows!
Dad: The dragon was super hungry
and went into the forest where he found ____________
Faythe: a dragonfly.
Dad: And the dragon _________
Ephram: ate the dragonfly!
Dad: And the dragonfly _________
Corbin: was stuck in the dragon’s
belly.
Dad: where ___________
Ephram: he found a mouse.
Dad: and_________
Someone: they played cards.
Dad: Meanwhile, the
dragon_____________
Faythe: saw a bumblebee
Dad: and the dragon____________
Braedi: KISSED IT ON THE LIPS!!!!
(Now all the kids are cracking up.)
Dad: And then_______________
Ephram: they fell in love, because
they kissed on the lips.
Dad: And what happened to the
dragonfly?
Dyllan: Oh, they forgot about him, because they were
in love.
Dad: And________________
Most of the kids in unison: THE
END!
Granted, it’s a silly story. The plot is disjointed and isn’t very
meaningful; however, every one of my kids participated with excitement. This is a big deal. Often, when they feel like they’re being
asked to offer an answer they clam up.
Two reasons I see for them shutting down are: they fear giving a wrong
answer, and they feel silly or vulnerable exposing their thoughts in front of
others.
The open-ended group story is effective,
because it bypasses these fears and offers a fun, light-hearted environment in
which the kids feel safe to share their creativity.
When we lay down some ground rules
about taking turns and not trying to change or undo what another person has added,
it also teaches them to work with other people’s contributions. Teamwork is always important in sibling
relationships and in any group wanting to have a meaningful conversation.
But here’s where the exercise gets golden. It’s mainly an opportunity for us dads to
learn skills we need. The ground rules
we set apply to us too, which makes it easier to curtail our “dad drive” that
tells us to take over and lecture. It
also gives us an opportunity to see that our kids are creative and fun and they
have great ideas. Finally, just like our
kids, we learn how to work with comments that seem off the wall to us at
first. Mutual respect and give-and-take
are very important in cultivating an environment of trust. Trust is imperative to a good discussion with
our kids. Without it, they will not open
their hearts to us, and we both miss out.
In
conclusion, I think everyone should give this a try. You can do it in the car, at the dinner
table, during home evening, or any other time.
Just loosen up and have some fun with it, and you’ll be amazed at how
much you can learn about your kids and how much they will open up when they
feel trust and are having fun. Then
transition the lessons you learn into other discussions you have with your
kids. I think they will flow better, and
they will probably be more meaningful.
Feel free to let me know if this
works for you. I wrote this on a whim
today, but I think it will help some of us.
This post is similar in purpose to many posts I've read on the simple dollar. I love having such inspiring things to read, especially pertaining to strengthening the family.
ReplyDeleteWe love this activity! We do it all the time. We have also added adventures where the children are a character and they have some task they must complete -this is all done in the same type of format as you described, but just adds a different element. Our oldest has even asked to "run" the stories.
ReplyDeleteVery cool that you and the children enjoyed it.