Sunday, November 11, 2012

United States--Wisconsin and Wyoming

The last of the 50 states!  My goals at the beginning of this unit were to follow Braedi's desire, to build familiarity with each state and learn something interesting, to learn the states and their capitals and location on the map, and to have fun.  I think we accomplished all of them.  It's been a fun year and the kids and I are excited to move on to world geography next. 

Wisconsin was home to many pioneers so we made a log cabin.  The logs were made from rolled up newspaper and the frame was a shoe box that I cut to size. 
And because Wisconsin is the known for it's dairy cows, we also made a yummy malted milk shake.


I lived in Wyoming for about 5 years of my childhood and that made the kids a little more excited about this state.  I was able to share some random things I remembered--like the "Rawlins wind Monster", living in the sames city as the state penitentiary, and raising tadpoles.  We learned a little bit about Yellowstone National Park and Old Faithful and made our own geyser using Diet Coke and Mentos. 

Fun Time!

1 comment:

  1. How fun! I can't wait to hear all about your world geography lessons!

    ReplyDelete