Monday, January 7, 2013

The Days Before Christmas--Days 14-22

Day 14--Make and deliver Christmas goodies
I wanted to do something simple this year for Christmas presents.  I like the kids to give something to their Primary teachers and leaders.  I also like to give something to the sisters I visit teach and to Jonathan's home teaching families.  And I give something to my Primary presidency.  It's also nice to have a few extras to hand out to friends.  Jennie helped me make a simple "cookies and cream" fudge and some peanut butter and chocolate bark.  Then we put a small amount in a cute bag, added a Christmas ornament from oriental express, taped a note and passed them out at church on Sunday. 
Day 15--Ward Christmas party
Dinner and some music--super simple and super fun.

Day 16--Nativity
I always include a day where we can act out the Nativity, but I think I need to do it earlier in the month next year.  As we get closer to Christmas we get more and more busy and advent calendar activities get pushed aside.  Instead of doing it this day, we did it the Sunday before Christmas when we celebrated with my family.  My mom has the cutest costumes for the kids. 
Day 17--Make presents
I like to have the kids make something for their grandparents for Christmas.  This year they made a journal.  They painted hand prints on material then folded them around notebooks.  I attached the first part of President Eyring's talk O Remember, Remember. 
Day 18--Read a Christmas story
I checked out some new Christmas stories from the library and we read a few.  It's fun to read something different, but it's also fun to read some of the classics.

Day 19--Watch a Christmas movie
My goal was to introduce the kids to A Christmas Story, but it never came from library.  We founds some cute cartoon Christmas movies on Netflix instead.

Day 20--Service Project
Every year we get to do a service project in lieu of gifts for Grandma and Grandpa Mecham.  We love doing this.  Braedi helped pick out and organize the project.  We did a food drive and collected 2 and 1/2 boxes of food to donate to the food bank. 
Day 21--Popsicle Christmas tree
We never got to this activity.

Day 22--Gingerbread man Party
This was actually on the calendar for after Christmas, but we had a friend call and invite us to the park to make gingerbread houses so I traded it with Christmas lights.  The friends that joined us the park were the same friends we were going to invite to our party so it worked out great.  I made cookies and the other moms brought graham crackers for houses.  The kids could do both or one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment