Tuesday, January 25, 2011
Cookie Fractions
We did a little math activity today from A Collection of Math Lessons by Marilyn Burns. I gave each kid 6 "cookies" (paper circles) and a math problem: "If you had to share these cookies with 6 people how many would each person get?" That was an easy one. Then they had to figure it out for 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 people and draw/write down their results. That was enough for most of the kids, but Braedi and I took it further. We talked about how to write the fractions, we looked at patterns, added a few fractions together (discussing least common denominator and stuff like that), divided cookies between different amounts of people and made a fraction chart and put it in order of least to greatest. It was neat for me. I'm not a big math person. I like math, but I don't GET a lot of it. It's hard for me to visualize a lot of it. But today I was getting it and it was fun! I'm not sure if Braedi felt the same. . .
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
love this math problem - hopefully real cookies were available after the problems were solved?
ReplyDeleteI am like you when it comes to math - I get so excited when I finally get it. :)