Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Tuesday Night Dinner

We had a spin on the traditional sloppy joes for dinner tonight.

Southwestern Sloppy Joes
1 T. oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded, chopped (I omitted)
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp oregano
3/4 pounds uncooked ground turkey breast
7 oz canned corn with red and green peppers (mexicorn), rinsed and drained
1 1/2 c. salsa
1 T. brown sugar, packed
4 light hamburger rolls, split

--Heat a large skillet over med-high heat. Swirl in the oil, then add the onion, garlic and jalapeno. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 4 minutes.
--Add the chili powder and oregano, and cook 1 minute more.
--Add the turkey and corn, and cook until the mixture is nearly dry, about 4 minutes.
--Stir in the salsa and sugar and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened and the turkey is cook through, 4-5 minutes longer.
--Spoon over the opened rolls and serve.
Servings: 4
Points Plus: 8

I forgot to take a picture of it on the bun and the leftovers don't look too appealing, but it was really good and easy.
On Monday we just had hamburgers and veggie burgers. They were from a package so I don't have a recipe to share. I like the Morning Star brand the best. A few months ago when hamburger was on sale, I borrowed one of those cool hamburger patty masher things from a friend a made a bunch of hamburger patties to freeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment