Friday, September 16, 2011

The United States--Alaska

Over the summer, Braedi found a lift-the-lap book on our shelf that had all the states and their capitols.  I impressed her by naming the capitols of most of the states.  I shared about when I was her age I had to memorized all the capitols for school and I still remember them.  She showed an interest in learning about the states, so being the inspiring mom that I am I planned a unit around them. 

I joke when I say that I am inspiring.  That is what I'm striving to be.  I just listened to an audio download for the family builder class that I"m taking that was all about creating an inspiring environment and responding to the spark.  That is what I"m trying to do. 

We are taking it slow--1 state a week--and I hope that she won't lose interest, but there isn't any more time during the week to fit it in.  She chose to learn the states alphabetically.  All the kids are invited to learn with us, but it is geared more toward Braedi's level.  We are making a state book that contains interesting facts, making a map, optional workbook pages and flashcards, learning the song and doing activities for each state.  I've started making a list of activities to do for each state, but there are some blanks on my list.  Hopefully I can find something fun for each state.  Please share any ideas you have.  We are saving Arizona for next February when we celebrate our 100th birthday. 

Alabama was first and I didn't take any pictures or have anything fun prepared.  The kids colored a picture with the state bird and flower. 

Yesterday was Alaska.  Did you know that it was bought for about 2 cents an acre?  I also found it interesting that if placed on top of the continental US it would reach from California to Florida.  It's HUGE!  We made snow goggles (to protect ourselves from snow blindness) and played some Alaskan games. 

1 comment:

  1. I think its great to learn about all the states. Someday I hope to be able to say that I've visited all 50 states, but I've been to quite a few.

    ReplyDelete