Sunday, September 11, 2011

Book Discussion--The Hobbit

We held our first (of the school year) kids' book discussion on Thursday with our homeschool group.  All summer we have been reading The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien and I know my kids were excited to discuss it with friends.

The discussion started out a bit rough--I yelled at a couple of moms to remind them that it was a "kids only" discussion--but it went uphill from there. The questions that the kids have been sharing have showed a lot of growth since we started this time last year and the discussions have been thoughtful.

My purpose for having a kids only discussion is to teach the kids how to have a discussion and how to participate in a group setting with peers. I know/hope that at home each of the moms is having a deep discussion with their families about the books; teaching and pointing out any important themes or ideas.

I look forward to more discussions.

No comments:

Post a Comment