Friday, September 23, 2011

Granola Balls

I tried a new recipe for granola bars.  I was concerned about the amount of sugar in my last recipe and wanted to find one with less.  I'm not sure where I got this recipe from (probably from a weight watchers cookbook), but I found it one day while going through a file of loose recipes.  I modified it a little bit and it was yummy.  All of the kids liked it, too.  My modifications are in parenthesis.

Granola Bars

3 c. oats (2 c. oats and 1 cup crushed corn chex)
1 c. raisins (next time I will use less)
1/2 c. chopped almonds (1/2 c. chopped cashews--because I didn't have any almonds)
1/2 tsp salt (I forgot this)
1 tsp cinnamon (I forgot this, too)
1/4 c. maple syrup (next time I'll try real maple syrup)
1/4 c. honey
1/4 c. water
1 Tbl. brown sugar
(I added 1/4 c. natural peanut butter)

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees and spray a cookie sheet.
2. Combine oats, raisins and almonds, cinnamon and salt (and chex).
3. Bring syrup, honey, water, sugar (and peanut butter) to a boil.  Pour over oat mixture, stirring to coat. 
4. With wet hands, shape mixture into 10 4 inch logs.  Place on cookie sheet and flatten.  (I shaped the mixture into balls and didn't flatten).
5. Bake for 30 minutes--until slightly firm to the touch.  (I only cooked them for 5-10 minutes).

No comments:

Post a Comment