I asked around for ideas on how to get rid of them. Someone suggested Windex. I tried, but I don't think any of them died. Another person told me they found something using vinegar when they googled it. I googled it and eventually found site with some useful information. I cleaned my kitchen, put all the fruit in the fridge, emptied the compost bucket and put out a jar. I put an inch of apple cider vinegar in the bottom of the jar and added a few drops of liquid dish soap. The site said to leave it on the counter and the flies would come to it when it was dark and quiet. It didn't take that long. Before I went to be there were probably 15 flies in the liquid. The next morning there were maybe 20 more. I can't believe how many fruit flies there were in our house! I'm putting it out again tonight to catch the few remaining ones and I will be more diligent in taking out the compost and watching for rotten fruit.
I took a picture, but I'm not sure if you can see the flies.
so glad you found help! The binegar is probably what my mom used. :)
ReplyDelete