Monday, April 19, 2010

What's for Breakfast?

I like to have a variety of things for breakfast and am willing to try new stuff (my kids aren't always thrilled with the different things, though). I have a generic menu plan in place. This allows me some structure (I know what type of meal I will cook) and freedom (I get to pick how I cook the eggs or what kind of hot cereal or what I'll put in my pancakes) at the same time.
Sunday--pre-cooked muffins or frozen waffles
Monday--hot cereal
Tuesday--pancakes
Wednesday--eggs
Thursday--pancakes or waffles
Friday--eggs or cold cereal
Saturday--french toast
Food City had apples on sale the other day and Lola gave me about 5 pounds. Not enough to go through the trouble of making and canning applesauce and too many to eat before they went bad, so I started looking for crock pot recipes. Here are two favorite sites: http://www.50plusfriends.com/cookbook/crockpot/index-5b.html and http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/. I found a recipe for Apple Granola--perfect for a Monday morning.
Ingredients:
4 med apples, peeled, cored and sliced (I didn't peel mine)
2 c. granola (I added raisins--you can add other dried fruit)
1/4 c. honey (next time I'll use less)
2 T. butter, melted (I used half that amount)
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
optional: serve with a dollop of whipped cream
Combine apples and cereal in crock pot. Combine honey, butter, cinnamon and nutmeg in bowl then pour over apples and mix. Cook 6-8 hours on low.
My crock pot runs hot and I didn't want to over cook it, so I asked Jonathan to turn it on before he went to bed. OOOPS! He forgot. Oh well. The kids had cold cereal for breakfast and we tried the apple granola later for a snack. It was super yummy!

1 comment:

  1. by the by,I LOVE your blog! I am constantly telling my girls all the fabulous things that you are doing to enhance your home schooling. And your kids are just too cute. I am glad I am getting to know them better, they are darling.I hope that you are going to print your blog/journaling into a book for your children, come to think of it, I think that you could put something together that people would really want, wether or not they home school... (I wish this comment page had spell check. Please excuse. I wasn't home schooled, but my Mom was'
    /is a teacher! ha-ha)

    ReplyDelete