Thursday, November 11, 2010

Free Enterprise Day

Every year our homeschool group puts on a free enterprise day. (I feel weird saying every year because this was only our second year.) It's a chance for the kids to learn about buying and selling. Each kid/family has to MAKE something that they can sell at a booth. They are also given a small amount of money to spend on stuff at the other booths.

The theme this year was "All Things Patriotic" and the items were supposed to correspond with the theme. We decided to continue on with our cooking class and make food to sell. Our booth was called "American as Apple Pie" and the kids made several apple treats. They worked together on the booth and I think I prefer it that way so I can supervise, but I might allow them to venture out on their own next year. There are also some other things that I want to do better/different next year:
*talk about how much money it takes to set-up a booth--whether from a loan or earning the money to start it
*discuss how much they have to sell items for in order to break even or make a profit
*decide how to divide the money earned

Ephram liked to spend his money, but wasn't willing to put in his time at the booth. The other kids saw an item that they wanted, figured out how much money they needed to buy it and worked until they had enough. I think it is a fun activity, but I want to make it more of a learning activity next time.

1 comment:

  1. Very cool - love the stuff you guys sold this year. Wish we could have been there...

    ReplyDelete