Saturday, November 6, 2010

Happy Halloween

Halloween is probably one of my least favorite holidays. There is no point to it and who needs all that candy? But, the kids love to dress up and don't we do everything for our kids?

The week before Halloween, we had an activity at my parent's house. After a yummy dinner, the grand-kids decorated trick or treat bags, put on costumes and trick or treated at a few neighbor's houses. (My mom gave her neighbors some candy to pass out.)

Our ward put on their annual trunk or treat the night before Halloween. The kids got dressed up again, played games, ate dinner and got more candy.
This year Halloween was on a Sunday--a perfect excuse for me to say that we weren't doing any more trick or treating. The kids sorted their candy and didn't complain when I took more than half of it away. We turned off our lights and played games. Weirdly enough, we didn't get any trick or treaters at our house. Even with the lights off we usually get a few.

3 comments:

  1. what did you do with all the candy you confiscated? did you take all the reese's peanut butter cups? going to share?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I struggle with Halloween as well.

    What I normally do...is take the children to Trunk or Treat. They then get to choose 5 to 10 pieces of candy. All the left over candy goes into a bowl to passed out to the children who come to our door. I have never had a problem in the past because Trunk or Treat has always been on a different night than Halloween. My children get to have fun dressing up and I get rid of "way too much" candy. :)

    Didn't work out this year though - my in-laws house is too far out in the boonies. No trick or treaters. Darn.

    For me, the highlight of Halloween is the day after when the children can run around in their costumes (which I have added to the dress up box).

    ReplyDelete