Friday, June 11, 2010

Putting on the Armor of God

Tonight was my last activity as the ward activities chairperson. I've barely had the calling for a year, but now I'm needed as the visiting teaching coordinator. This activity has been in the making since last December. The bishopric wanted to do something to help unite the ward and bring in a stronger spirit. They created a scripture read-a-thon and called it "Putting on the Armor of God through Scripture Power." A talented sister in the ward made a bulletin board with a boy and a girl and pieces of armor. After a certain number of scriptures were read, pieces of armor were put on to the children until they were fully clothed in the armor of God. It took the ward 5 months to meet the goal. The activity tonight was a celebration of that accomplishment.

The activities committee planned 6 games for families to rotate through. There were scripture pictionary, making a Title of Liberty,

balloon swords, shooting Samuel the Lamentite, blowing the Jaredite barges across the sea, and hunting with Nephi Jonathan had to work so I asked my in-laws to come help with the kids. There were also several helpers from the ward to help with the games. I always get a lot of help from people in the ward--there's no way I could have done any of my activities with that help. The games went well and people seemed to be having fun. My only complaint was the number of people--there weren't nearly as many people there as normal. Maybe the time of year? Maybe the fact that it wasn't a traditional activity? Maybe people just didn't want to come? Whatever the reason, I'm grateful that it was my last activity--they can be stressful to plan!

3 comments:

  1. We were sad to miss it. We pulled into our driveway at 8:30 last night after being gone for two weeks. It looks like it was a great activity. You always do a great job. We LOVED the Christmas party. I am sad to see you get released.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ideas! The kids had a lot of fun - and although there were not a lot of people there, it made it kind of nice for the kids just because they were able to do all the activities they wanted to do without long lines...so I thought it was great! Thanks for doing the calling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like fun! We have been in our ward for two years, and have only gone to two activities. Both Christmas. But come to think of it, I don't know that they've had any others?

    ReplyDelete