Monday, June 7, 2010

Corn Dogs

During the summer, we do school a little different. We have to make room for summer movies and swim lessons and play dates with public school friends/cousins and canning. I don't like to take the whole summer off for lots of reasons: we take enough days off during the "school year", the kids need some kind of structure, and it's no fun to start again after being off for so long.

One of the things that I decided to do this summer was teach a cooking class. Every Monday we'll cook something new. I picked several kid friendly recipes and made recipe cards and purchased kitchen tools for each kid. I'm going to try to do it just like a real cooking class--each kid gets to make his/her own thing. That means that we'll usually have 4 things and we'll be sharing the extras.

Today we made a kid favorite--corn dogs. They didn't turn out like store bought corn dogs and they didn't taste like them either, but the kids ate them up and had fun in the process. I even taught them that part of cooking is cleaning up. They helped with the dishes and can't wait until next week.

I totally forgot to take pictures until the end so all you get is the final product. YUMMY!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like fun! We made cookies yesterday, and I even made the kids clean up. I'm glad I'm not the only one who makes my kids help out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea for a summer class! Katia is always bugging me to cook.

    ReplyDelete