The author, Marilyn Burns, talks about how math is typically taught and how she thinks it should be taught. Kids should learn to embrace math not fear it. They should understand how math is used in everyday situations. Marilyn Burns talks about reading, questioning and thinking. She is big on discussion and helping the kids understand the why and how of a problem. She doesn't like a lot of worksheets. I'm not finished with the book, but I want to learn more about her style. I know that it will mean a change in my teaching style, but the talking and applying is like the classical education that I'm trying to achieve.Today for math, I decided to skip my normal routine and do an activity out of this book. I asked the kids to guess how many stars I could draw on a piece of paper in 1 minute (estimation). I set the beeper and drew. They looked and guessed again. Then we counted by 1s, 2s, 5s and 10s to get the answer (counting skills). Then I had them do it draw their own stars and count different ways and we put the results on a graph (interpreting data). Then I asked if they could draw that many stars in 1 minute how many stars could they draw in 2 minutes and had them tell me how they got the answer. I also asked how many they could draw in half a minute. We discussed and used manipulatives and they tried it to see if they were close. We tried drawing different things and compared our results. Math time flew by and there wasn't any complaining. (I can't figure out why this picture is sideways.)
Now you try. . .How many stars can you draw in one minute?
Yeah! I am so glad you like the book and that project went so well! I havent' even tried it yet...
ReplyDelete