Today for history we studied the Cretes. The people of Crete (the Minoans) told a story of their namesake, King Minos. I didn't teach today, so I hope I get this story right. Below the castle of King Minos was a complicated maze. In that maze was a Minotaur--a monster that was half man, half bull. King Minos didn't want to feed his people to the Minotaur so he ordered the city of Athens to send 7 boys and 7girls to sacrifice to the Minotaur every year. One year the son of the king of Athens (Theseus)learned of this and said that he would be one of the 7 boys. Upon arriving to the island of Crete, King Minos's daughter fell in love with the prince and decided to help him defeat the Minotaur. She gave him a sword and a ball of string. She told him to roll the string at the beginning of the maze and it would roll to the center of the maze where the minotaur was and then kill it and follow the string back out. Theseus was successful!

For the activity the kids built a maze and navigated through it to kill the Minotaur.


Such a fun activity. You have really been on a blogging role lately. I need to find more time to do it too!
ReplyDelete