Tuesday, July 27, 2010

AFHE's Homeschool Convention

Jonathan and I attended the homeschool convention put on by Arizona Families for Home Education. It is something that I look forward to all summer. It's a chance for us to browse the vendor hall and possibly buy new curriculum, listen to speakers who usually give us good ideas to use in our homeschool, visit with other homeschool families, and feel inspired and uplifted. I'm grateful that Jonathan attends with me and that I have his total support.

This year was a great conference. I've recently picked up the Thomas Jefferson Education book again and have been feeling like I need to move more in that direction with our family's education. Many of the classes that I attended reaffirmed that feeling. It's amazing how strong and how often I felt the spirit. It helped me realized that I'm doing what's right for my family.

Jonathan and I attended several classes on our own and some together. There were a lot of fantastic presenters. I got ideas to help me progress in my own education, ideas to use for book discussions, ideas to be a better homeschool mom, and ideas to help foster the growth and learning of my own kids. There were also some classes on the history of homeschooling--can you believe that it used to be illegal to homeschool?!?!? It blows my mind and makes me grateful for the sacrifices that people made before me so that I can teach my kids at home.

2 comments:

  1. There is a wonderful woman in my new ward who homeschooled her children back when it was illegal - one of her daughters is now my visiting teaching partner.

    I was totally humbled to be talking to this dear sister as she matter-of-factly told me be about her experience and that I was making a great choice. Because of brave women like her - I am able to homeschool today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've recently been reading the Thomas Jefferson Education book too and feeling like that's the direction I'd like us to go as well. I'd love to talk to you about it sometime if you have a chance. Let me know!

    ReplyDelete