Monday, July 26, 2010

Cowboy Cookies

Last week Braedi found a book on my shelf called Book Cook. It's full of recipes and activities to go a long with children's stories. She asked if we could do something out of it for our next cooking class and made a list of her favorites. I reserved some of the books at the library and picked one that I had the ingredients for.

We began by reading A Campfire for Cowboy Billy by Wendy Ulmer. It's about a little boy who rides his stick horse on an imaginary journey through the wild west (really New York City). Then we made the cookies. It was a nice recipe because it only made one cookie per person. I think the finished product was supposed to look like a haystack, but you can't make that comparison with ours.

1. Mix together 1 tablespoon peanut butter and 1 tablespoon dry mild in a small bowl.


2. Add 1 teaspoon honey.
3. Add 1 tablespoon chow mein noodles. (Dyllan took a finger-ful instead).
4. Spoon the cookie onto a piece of waxed paper. (The kids just ate it out of the bowl).
I thought they were yummy!

2 comments:

  1. I use to make these all the time on my classroom as cooking activity. We called them peanut butter balls. They are yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOu seriously do the coolest stuff with your children!

    ReplyDelete